Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Birth Story/ First days

I know our birth story was scheduled and well thought out, as opposed to the usual waking-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night/water-breaking/contractions-and-pushing stories that most can share, ours was still precious :) I woke up that morning, got showered, dressed, and walked the dogs and we headed out the door around 7 am. Once we finally got to the hospital, I got changed, my IV was started, blood was drawn, and my vitals were taken. I was completely relaxed, and STILL at this point I couldn't get it in my head that I was about to have a baby. The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me about what they were going to do, and at that point I was just extremely nervous. I was more concentrated on going in to surgery than having a baby and I was pretty shaky. Then they wheeled in the girl that was scheduled right before me, I saw her first, and then the dad wheeling in the baby on the cart. This was the first it REALLY hit me that I was about to meet my son, and I totally lost it. I could not stop crying, I was so happy. During this time, a student nurse was walking over to introduce herself, saw me crying and felt so bad because she thought I was scared. It was nice to tell her I was just so happy :)
Next they wheeled me in to my operating room so I could get my spinal, and get fully prepped for surgery. Part way in Jeremy was able to join me which was such a relief. All of the sudden my doctor says "dad you can stand up if you would like to watch your son being born." It was amazing to watch Jeremy watch our son being born, and as I heard his first cry I completely lost it. Just the sound of his cry alone made me the happiest person in the world, I was so overwhelmed with joy to get him here I couldn't keep the tears in. It felt like an eternity before I could see him. I heard them say he was 7 pounds 8 ounces and was 20 inches long. Then Jeremy brought him over and layed him on my chest and the tears flowed and I realized just how lucky I am to be this little boys mom.
Since birth, Max has been nothing short of amazing. In his first 12 hours he pooped 7 times- which is a sign on a very healthy baby. Usually they hope that a child poops once in 24 hours. He immediately picked up on breastfeeding, and he was able to escape getting jaundice like almost every baby gets. He only gets up twice during the night, usually around 1 and again around 5:30. I am sleeping better now than when I was pregnant! He rarely cries, but almost always does when hes being changed. Hes not a fan of being swaddled, hes very strong and can usually kick his blanket off in his sleep. When awake he loves to look around and almost always follows the sound of his mommy and daddy's voices. Hes simply perfect :)
I am recovering MUCH better than my last csection. I was able to get up and out of bed within 12 hours of surgery and was walking in the halls the next day. My only setback was when we got home I fell asleep on the couch and my 16 pound yorkie climbed on the back of the couch and leaped right on to my belly. It was definitely horrendous pain, but by that night Jeremy and I were able to take Max and the dogs for a lap around the park.
Life now just feels so complete. Everything we went through, and every bit of pain was worth it to get this little boy here safe. I know that Brody is watching over him, we still feel him so close. In moments, my entire life has changed, I have never known such a feeling of happiness in my entire life.

No comments: